Saturday, August 12, 2006

High standards != a gold digger

"Gold digging refers to a relationship in which a young person pursues an older person for monetary gain." Here I am at my younger cousin's birthday party on a laptop writing this entry. When you get invited to a filipino birthday party and the time starts at 2pm, you come at 3 and stay until 1 or 2 a.m. Half the family is singing Karaoke, the other half is playing marathon Mah Jong (yes say pohs, chicken style! lol!) while the younger boys are playing video games in the room.

My cousin's best friend is accusing me of being a gold digger. Why? Because apparently my standards are "too high." Okay, so maybe when asked why I was still single, I may have said that I was waiting for a rich guy. Now V and I have known eachother since we were twelve. So for him to "assume" that I literally meant a "rich" guy and that I'm a gold digger is wrong.

I'm old enough to know what I want in a relationship and have been through some experiences that make it hard for me to jump from guy to guy. Unlike some people out there, that's not my style. I'm independent. I enjoy living the single life but I don't expect it to be like that forever.

Vince asks me when I'm going to decide to settle down. Realistically, I don't know. 32? 40? Kids? now or later (someone with good genes will be fine) And I don't believe of necessarily marrying the father of my kids. Just as I don't believe you need to have be married to have kids. There are a lot if single parents out there doing just fine.

I would like my male counterpart to make equal or more than me. What's wrong with that? I'll pull my weight and expect him to do the same. He needs to be intelligent - someone that will stimulate my mind. Is that too much to effin ask for? Argh! seriously!

No comments: