Wednesday, January 31, 2007

get over it

It seems like the people around that are in relationships are now becoming single. It's good and bad. Good for me because I get my friends back but also sad to hear and see their heart breaking. A few have been in two and four year relationships and another has been in a merely 5 week relationship. I was talking to a friend yesterday and she told me that it takes half the time you were with that person to get over them. For instance, if you were in a 2 year relationship, it will take you a year to get over that person.

I don't agree with that statement. I think it takes more than half the time you spend with that person. Granted you should consider how you felt about the person and the type of person you are. I know for me, it takes atLEAST half of my relationship time to get over the other person. And only a little of it is heartbreak. For the most part, it's time spent clearing the other person's negative energy out of my life. I know there are some people that can jump from relationship to relationship but I can't and don't understand how. I would just lose myself.

I decided to get some insight on my friend's statement by researching the online community on Yahoo Answers. (I am so addicted to that site!) I chose that best answer btw. :) Anyway, I completely agree with the answer. I believe we meet people for a reason. Either to help us through some rough times, show or teach us about love or whatever it is we need to learn about, fill in emptiness, act as a middleperson, anything! Yes, it's hard to understand what the lesson may be but if you don't learn anything, you'll need to learn it again. Sadly, this happens. Some women find themselves with the same abusive relationship. Some men find themselves getting cheated on- again. A never-ending vicious cycle that wastes time and energy. Life is short.

My conclusion is that it's OK to not forget that person completely. You'll remember them until you meet someone better. Even then, you may still think of that person at times or he/she will cross your mind in the future. But getting over it is about learning from the relationship. Learn so you can better approach the next relationship you get into. And keep in mind that it's not ALL YOU. The downfall is a combination of things. Reasons could be the timing, external factors/ influences or as simple as she's just a BITCH that doesn't care about your feelings. In this case, learn the signs so you don't pick another loser. Don't deny it. Be true to yourself. Listen to your friends when they give you advice- you trust your friends right? Moving on is accepting it. That's the real closure. Cheers to a year of satisfying love and positive personal growth- always!

2 comments:

sh00tingstarrs said...

Hmmm, sounds like someone I know VERY well! :)

I agree, although heartbreak is such a hard thing to get over and a very painful feeling to overcome, it happens to us for a reason.

I've always been a spiritual person and believed in a higher power. Sometimes God (or whoever you believe in) does these things to test our strength, our will, and simply our FAITH!

There's a lyric in a song that says "I know that life has a funny way of bringing out the best by bringing on the pain..." I find it to be very true!

Thanks for this blog Cheryl. Sometimes little things like this remind you how lucky and blessed you really are. There is always someone out there that is worse off and going through something more difficult than a mere heartbreak. Now let go, smile, and keep pressing forward!

Erykah said...

I couldn't have said it any better.. I totally agree with you!!!